Golden Gate National Park


Part II

Golden Gate Highlands National Park.

The same day, but in the afternoon I went to the Golden Gate National Park. This park situated approximately 1 hour from Harrismith. The road is very convenient. From Warden street in Harrismith you have to find way to N5, go on a highway and drive to the right from Harrismith until you see R712. Turn left to R712 and you are on the road to Clarens, little town in a middle of Maluti Mountains. Clarens is a nice place to stay for weekend, and to go around and explore.

Right after Clarens (it took me 10 minutes) I saw mountains. Should be Golden Gate National Park.

I recalled what I’ve read on Internet about Golden Gate. Golden Gate belongs to Sun Parks. Golden Gate is home to many animals: wildebeest, eland, blesbok, springbok and zebra, and rare birds: bold ibis and bearded vulture. There are several view points: Ribbokkop, which is the highest point in the park, Zuluhoek lookout and Drakensberg view. 21 hotels in the vicinity can offer you a decent accommodation. The best way to see and experience this place would be to stay there for at least one or two days and to go hiking. Unfortunately, did not have time for that and I just decided to go around in my car and to see the place.

It is amazing how often you stay at home and know nothing about places around you. Life is what happens around us and sometimes you might find yourself stuck on a problem, and can’t find a solution. It is a sign. You need to go. It does not matter where to, you just go; even if it is around the corner. The best places usually are around you. Traveling will open your eyes, recharge your batteries, give you completely different prospective. And I am not talking about traveling. It helps finding different angle; be it your problem or feeling or just to have a break in your life.

It was an afternoon.

Holiday.

Quite a few people today.

I saw a man, who was jogging; young couple was taking photos.

Near the road I saw beautiful Hotel –Golden Gate Hotel, also there are chalets. Little bit further down I saw Glen Reenen Rest Camp for backpackers and people who would like to stay in their tents. Near the camp was a big restaurant.

The name golden was given to this place because of the color of mountains, especially in the light of the sun on the sunset.

I made some pictures, and slowly my mood started to change.

The tension went away, my thoughts cleared up.

This is perfect getaway. Clean air, not a lot of visitors, absence of noise, majestic views, mountains, (and, I have forgotten – you can have holidays, which will not break a bank for you)-everything makes this place special.

The sun was going down and I was watching the mountains glow and slowly fade away. Road R712 goes via Golden Gate Park right towards Harrismith, but it was not the same road that brought me here. The road was like a snake, after 10 minutes it was dark already, and I started to doubt that I am able to find my way back easily.

We were 3 cars, traveling together. Going back was not so easy, but the road was good and we made it.

Well, at the end of the day, I decided it was worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The leaves feel like rain.

Ghosts of Johannesburg, part II . Hazel Crane

Would you like to try different type of holidays? Try Horse safari!