SPONTANEOUS JOURNEY. (Part 1)


SPONTANEOUS JOURNEY. (Part 1)

I woke up from the noise. What was that? Agh...that was my cellphone making funny noises. My friend wanted me to come somewhere to wait for him.

It was 2 a.m. in the morning. Dark.

Long trip.

I don't know this place.

Somewhere in Mpumalanga.

Can't it wait?

There were coordinates, but they were not helpful.Can you imagine traveling during the night/early morning? But the thought of it stuck in my mind. In the early morning I went. Coordinates were not great.

I was going round and round near Hartbeespurt Dam until finally I found a road straight to the place. Finally, after 3 hours( according to the indications it should have been 1 hour 40 min trip) I have arrived. Arrgh!

Looking around I discovered it was just normal place. The only one thing, they had very good Wi-Fi (free!), because the place was used for conferences.

Cold. December(it is summer in SA after all). Should be better. My friend did not arrive.

Something's came up.Then it was said something like that I should have a holiday, because I've been working too hard lately and was never been able to go places.

OK! Let's go and see the place.What is so interesting about it?

Probably, museum. It was a museum on SA history. Right! What do I know about SA history?

Unfortunately very little. Time to educate myself.

In the museum there were an exhibition of pictures of commanders and leaders form Anglo-Boer War, probably the First War. The most known battle was the Battle of Majuba Hill, where Boers won."Remember Majuba Hill" became the rallying cry. This battle has led to the end of the First Anglo-Boer War and also remembered in the history because of "the fire and movement tactics"employed by the Boers, which were ahead of that time. Rustenburg, the city nearby, was also a battleground during the First War. The battle for Rustenburg was another victory for Boers in the First Boer War.

Portraits of Paul Kruger, Queen Victoria, Nicolaas Smit,Danie Malan,and other participants were on the walls of museum.Apparently, Queen Victoria sympathized with Paul Kruger, and they were corresponding secretly. So romantic...

Portraits, memorabilia, history, more history...

The hotel itself, was situated in a very quiet place and had everything for a decent getaway. Good restaurant, bar, nice size swimming pool. And they were offering to go on a photo-safari. But this is going to be in my second part of Spontaneous Journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The leaves feel like rain.

Ghosts of Johannesburg, part II . Hazel Crane

#Киев. #Майдан спустя шесть месяцев.